Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Exploring the Revolution with Bec Adamczewski

For me, craft is synonymous with community. This can be the literal sense of community which may take the form of knitting circles, stitch and bitch groups or in my case 'Crafternoon', or it may be in a broader sense, the passing down of knowledge via family and friends and more recently the growing community of crafters online.

It is this sense of community that led me to begin the group 'Crafternoon' - a fortnightly gathering of like-minded individuals based in Hobart.

The group started out as a bunch of graphic designers seeking a non-comercial way of being creative and since has grown to include people with a broad mix of backgrounds, occupations and interests. Through this group we have made our own little community and interact within it and outside it. Crafternoon holds exhibitions of it's members work, many social events and recently a markers market, but is also focused on the wider community bringing craft to state library programs and in the future a collaboration between Crafternoon and a local nursing home. It seems for so long craft has been frowned upon, how refreshing to see the difference it is making.

As a graphic designer I am in the fortunate position to be creative almost everyday. It is part of my nature to be creative however, my work, being commercial, lacks a certain amount of satisfaction. I think this is the case for many people, in our daily work and lives, an opportunity for a creative outlet is lost and those with a sense of creativity are left unsatisfied. One of the beauties of craft (there are many) is that anyone is free to try it, not all craft is straight forward, but there is a beginning point regardless of ability.

Personally, I feel the call back to crafts not only to satisfy a need for community and creativity but to feel feminine. I hope not to offend anyone, because I know there is lots of lovely guys who get into craft, but for me, making my own quilts and knitting my own clothes give me a sense of feminine purpose in my home, which is hard to come by in our instantaneous society. I love to look at the things I have made and feel great achievement and joy. Handmade gifts are a gift of time, in our time poor world, what a beautiful gesture to give something of yourself.

I encourage you to make a cup of tea, take some time for yourself and make something with you own hands, enjoying the richness of the community that all crafters are part of.

Bec Adamczewski www.crafternoon.com.au

1 comment:

Janet McKinney said...

I love your description of crafting bringing out the feminine side. Yes I agree - not that it is exclusively feminine, but predominately so. And who says men can't get in touch with their feminine side anyhow!

There is something satisfying about making objects of beauty to make your living environment more pleasant to live in - whatever your idea of pleasant is. I firmly believe that creativity is an integral part of our makeup, and - in what ever form it takes - it brings a sense of fulfillment.

Cheers
Janet McKinney