Thursday, June 19, 2008

I (heart) craft by Simone Jones






10 Things I Love About Craft

Ever since Cate asked me to write this blog piece I’ve been running round in circles trying to decide how to distil everything I love about craft into a succinct post. I’ve given up and decided to list 10 of the many many many things I currently adore.

1. Abby Glassenberg

What’s not to love about these quirky characters? Each of Abby’s birds (left) has its own personality, with some created out of recycled material, leading to kooky text appearing through ruffled feathers. I’m also quite fond of Girl Savage’s http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=32631 feltidermy works (right), which bring a new twist to the huge design trend at the moment for fake animal trophies.


2. Cupcakes + Baking

I’m loving the cake decorating arts at the moment. Check out Eugene and Louise Bakery http://www.eugene-and-louise-bakery.be/, and locals the Cupcake Company http://www.thecupcakecompany.blogspot.com/ and the Cupcake Parlour.


3. Trixie Delicious

Trixie Delicious refers to her work as vandalised vintage, a saying that neatly sums up her process of subverting stock standard chinaware by over painting incongruous text. Full of wit and cheekiness!


4. Yu Chun Chen

This artist beautifully juxtaposes the coldness of silver and the warmth of sewn, furry, textural growths.


5. Silhouettes

I know silhouette’s are “so hot right now” but I always love anything that plays with shadows and outlines. Particularly appealing are these Silhouette Masterpiece Theatre http://silhouettemasterpiecetheatre.com/ works by Wilhelm Staehle.

2 comments:

Emerald Arts said...

I think that the feltidermy you've featured here has a more specific name as well, I'm pretty sure that rabbits with antlers like that are called "Jackalopes". Wiki it ;)

Oh, and hello! I found your blog while procrastinating and reading another one.

Simone... said...

Right you are! She has just plain rabbits as well and all sorts of other creatures, including loch ness monsters