Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I (heart) craft with Rachel Fry

HANDMADE MAKES MY HEART SING!

I can’t articulate it better than this. To discover something that has been created with heart and soul truly makes my heart sing!

I’m an Italian girl who comes from a long line of women who loved and regularly participated in crafting handmade goodies. My childhood days were spent crocheting, sewing and drawing through which I gained many happy hours of creative fun. It also gave me the experience of independence at an early age. I chose my own fabrics and designs. I chose what colour and design my crochet blanket would be and then I was the one to make them…very empowering!

As well as being Italian, I’m also a Taurus and there’s no escaping the influence this has over me. I love being surrounded by beautiful art and objects, colour is important and quality is essential.

These are the reasons I created a store that showcased and celebrated handmade. Cherry Blossom was a store that had an emphasis on Australian creatives, quality product and that essential ‘make your heart sing’ factor. Over the 4 years that Cherry Blossom traded I had the absolute joy of selling and promoting handmade products. I also discovered the beauty of meeting and knowing the creator of the goods.

My absolute favourite handmade goodies are my UDDER (http://udder.typepad.com/) softies collection made by Fliss Dodd. Each one is individual and LOVINGLY handmade. They are unique and beautiful and I’m completely crazy about them.

My world, both inner and outer would be a soul-less and empty experience if I could not surround myself with art and product made by loving hands. I feel deeply connected to the beauty and creativity in our world each time I discover a new item that is infused with this love.

I am a woman who is grateful that I can create and support handmade goods. I’m also grateful that I can share this love with like-minded souls who also create and support handmade.

Supporting or creating craft, in all its forms opens up a deeper connection to self and to others. It’s a winning formula I think to creating a more positive and beauty filled future for humanity. We can save our world, one handmade crafty item at a time!

1 comment:

Juddie said...

Hey I hear you, sister! Yes yes yes!